Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Fungus on wood

Posted By: Chris Chambers
Date: Wednesday, 15 June 2005, at 8:49 a.m.

I've just transferred my clowns from their 12 inch deep environment to a new home, a larger but much deeper tank.

I thought I'd keep as much of the water chemistry and depth familiar before topping up the height and the new tank is full to about 16 inches. It has a new decorative piece of wood (from LFS) in it, that will eventually look like a root descending from the surface but is currently projecting about a foot out of the water. The part of this that's just above the water-line is damp and has sprouted an impressive fungal bloom.

There are white tendrils and (possibly) some white fruiting bodies visible. The tendrils are about 1.5 inches long and very fine, looking like a white fuzz. In all probability this was in the wood to start with and so in some senses is natural (but the concentration has increased of course).

Is this going to be safe for fish once the water level rises?

My def