Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Update on Clowns with Skinny Disease

Posted By: Kit <kitjaguar@comcast.net>
Date: Thursday, 16 June 2005, at 10:26 a.m.

Thought I'd post an update, to find out what I did wrong (which I think I know) and get clarity on the error of my ways...

I had 2 4" clown loaches with skinny disease I 'rescued' from the lfs. After receiving the suggestion to use levamisole, I ordered some from PBS Animal Health, and got water soluble powder. There was, of course, the challenge of the dose to use, as this came in bulk and not capsules. One of the posts I had seen suggested 2 teaspoons of levamisole per 10 gallons of water. I did this, and 24 hours later everyone was dead. While it's possible that the disease suddenly progressed, I think it's far more likely that I massively overdosed them. I had also seen the post suggesting 2 500 mg caps per 10 gal. Not being very (at all) math savvy, I didn't know where to start converting 500 mg of med into the fraction of an ounce of powder I received, given that the powder is not going to be pure levamisole, and having no idea of the dilution factor. The directions on the bottle were for creating drinking water treatment for pigs, and gave the number of gallons of treated water per 25 lbs of pig. Not easy to translate into fish...

So... with whatever additional info you'd need from the bottle, would someone be willing to take a stab at a conversion table? There seems to be a pretty regular stream of people posting about skinny disease, and levamisole is generally recommended, but in my searches of the posts I didn't find any that talked in specifics about dosing with the bulk form of the powder... Or did I just not search properly...?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Kit.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

T