Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

OT: 46 Bowfront Terrarium

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@ont.com>
Date: Saturday, 18 June 2005, at 2:00 a.m.

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to share. During my vacation I decided to do something different, so I made a terrarium out of an Oceanic 46 gal bowfront that I was not using.

It has a false bottom (egg crate and PVC couplings tied on plastic with electrical ties). I wanted to have the back glass covered in water, so I used 1/2" CPVC pipe and covered it with 5/8" flexible, black plastic tubing (a challenge to do...eventually used baby powder in the inside of the black tubing, and as much muscle as I could muster, to achieve this. The top tube is drilled every 1/2" to achieve the wall of water.

On the egg crate, I placed small pieces of black lava rock, and three pieces of lace rock (in an "Amano-manner"). I only used rock cap moss and fern moss. Both of these mosses are native to the U.S., and some have claimed that only tropical mosses will survive in such a set up. Others have claimed that it doesn't matter, the native moss will be fine. What to believe?

Six gallons of distilled water was used. No tap water allowed. This keeps the glass spotless and plants alive.

For lighting, there's 96 watts of PC on top. Glass cover on the tank, which is cracked a touch.

I've ordered a fog maker, which should arrive any day now, and will be added.

No critters in the tank at this time.

When the fogger arrives, I'm planning on breaking down the tank and making some minor adjustments (spray painting the sides and bottom front, covering the CPVC elbow and end cap with black tubing, providing a line of blue filter pad on the back wall--hidden from view--to keep the water from wearing down the pieces of lava rock, etc, as well as adding the fogger.

You may need to right click on the pic and then click on "view image" to see the entire pic.

46 gal bowfront terrarium

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with