Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Substrate Change - Advice

Posted By: Johnny at RPI <scherj4@rpi.edu>
Date: Tuesday, 12 July 2005, at 1:39 p.m.

Hi,

I have a 90 gallon tank with 7 Clown Loaches from 2-6" in length, 3 red-tailed sharks, 6 tiger barbs, 2 blue gouramis, and a plecostomus. My substrate is currently 50 lbs of play sand from home depot which has proven to be unsuitable for growing plants with roots. I want to swap the sand for 5 bags of Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate. My question is would this be possible / worth doing?

My current plan is to take out all of the decorations, drain the tank to 50%, leave the fish in, and start scooping all of the sand to one side of the tank and eventually lift it all out. I would then pour the new substrate into one side(making sure there are no fish there) and then even it all out.

Does anyone see any problems with this or have any better advice?

Thanks,
--John <