Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Why did this happen?

Posted By: Jon
Date: Saturday, 16 July 2005, at 12:12 p.m.

I recently set up a small river tank in a 20 gallon long (I will try and post some pictures). To seed it quickly I took a filter (Whisper 30; the whole thing, not just the media) from another tank (40 gallon long) that also has an Emperor 330 with dual bio-wheels (this tank and both of it's filters have been up and running for quite some time now). This caused the 40 to cycle. Can anybody help me understand why this happened? I understand how and why a tank cycles, I'm just not sure why removing this filter caused it to happen since the Emperor filter is rated up to 70 gallons?

Any incite would be greatly helpful as not to have this happen again.

BTW: All the fish in the tank (3 skunks, 3 s. pulchra, 1 rainbow shark and a few giant danios) made it through the cycle and are doing well, although for