Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Would a Kuhli loach eat a dead fish?

Posted By: Guff <bellgarth@aapt.net.au>
Date: Thursday, 21 July 2005, at 9:11 a.m.

The reason I ask is that I recently went away for the weekend, and when I came back my little community aquarium (4 Pristella tetras and 2 Kuhli loaches - all survivors of larger flocks before anyone points out that I need to put them in larger groups) was minus 1 tetra.

No sign of it anywhere - not a skerrick in the filter, no little floating body, and no way it could have jumped out.

Now I don't think any of the fish in the tank would have killed it, but if it had died for some reason, would the loaches be likely to devour the body? The tetra had looked a little sluggish so it's a possibility that it died, but nothing I've read about either Kuhlis or Pristella tetras suggests that they would eat it once it had.

The reason I suspect the loache