Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Clowns swimming upside down?

Posted By: Trish <loughran@uiuc.edu>
Date: Thursday, 11 August 2005, at 10:31 a.m.

I have a 75 Gallon with five clown loaches (on a range from small to medium), several corys, two juvenile syno cats, and some rainbowfish. Water parameters are fine, although I was away for a month in July and there was restricted feeding and no water changes in that period. (The tank is well planted and excellently filtered, so this may not have been as bad as it sounds.)

Here's the problem. My largest and oldest clown is behaving very oddly. I came out this morning and he was laying on his side in the front of the tank (I know some do this regularly but my clowns have never done it at all and still prefer their hideout in the plants whenever there is a human in the room). I went up to the tank and he tayed there, so I decided to feed them to see if he would eat. He did in fact respond to the food but he did so by swimming on his side and periodically swimming totally upside down. He shows no other signs of illness (no marks, no other behaviors), except that he appears to like to rest now (for the past several days anyway) in the corner of the tank vertically--standing up straight in the seam, or crease, of the tank corner.

Is this something to worry about? Should he be quarantined? If so, how long and in what size tank should one quarantine a four-six inch loach and what course of treatment should be followed?

Thanks for your advice.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.