Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

solar homes and fish tanks

Posted By: barbara <bjmaitri@megalink.net>
Date: Saturday, 13 August 2005, at 12:04 p.m.

does anyone here have any ideas about adaptations that can be made in running tanks so that minimal energy is used?

i'm moving to a solar house and while we will have a good sized system, i'm told that anything that requires continuous use is somewhat problematic. it was suggested that i run the filters intermittently by use of a timer but with a canister this seems not an option. of course sponge filters operated by an air pump seems like one alternative but i don't know if that would be adequate.

right now i have a tank with five largish clowns and 4 male rosy barbs, a tank with 7 misc. loaches (kubotai, dario, sids, rostrata), a striata tank (6 of them), and two tanks with petricolas (synodontis) and a tank with two eupterus and then there are cichlid tanks as well....oh sigh. i know most of these have to leave but if anyone has any ideas i'd be interested in knowing what they are as i'd love to keep the striatas and petricolas and maybe a tank of daffodils as well. and if anyone is coming this way (central maine) let me know if you are interested in any of these fish (you'll have to note interest here as the email listed for me is out of date). i'd like them to have good homes. but first, i need to find out if there is a way to maintain these tanks w/minimal electrical use.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The