Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Clown export size

Posted By: Emma Turner <emmasteve@clownloach.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Monday, 22 August 2005, at 11:41 a.m.

I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago, when I had a fish-list through from a Singapore supplier who supplies us with what they call "Clown Loach Specials" (i.e. high quality healthy Clowns at competitive prices). They always have an assortment of sizes available, usually from 1" (which I think is far too small to be exporting these fish) up to around 4". I rarely see any bigger ones offered, and I have noticed a few times that 5" is the maximum export size usually quoted on here. At the beginning of August, the usual list came through, except this time they were also offering 5", 7" and 8" Clowns - albeit in very limited quantities. I was not interested in ordering these, as I believe anyone can grow Clowns to that size if they are kept properly, but I thought it would be of interest that they were willing to export these larger sizes. I tried to ask questions about them, but the company was very guarded and did not seem to want to comment. I believe that they raise the small ones via some sort of hormone treatment, and it seemed strange that they had suddenly decided to sell a quantity of these large fish.
Emma

Messages In This Thread