Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Cool water species in California pond

Posted By: Miles McKeever <milesmckeever@cox.net>
Date: Sunday, 28 August 2005, at 12:39 a.m.

I appreciate your help finding as many species as possible that can tolerate cool water through winter in a coastal southern California pond in protected atrium enclosed area.

The only species I know is dojo, Japanese weather loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) that established wild breeding populations in Orange County drainage ditches. My pond won't get that cold.

I've found it HARD to find specific information on cold water tolerance of "tropical" fish. Also, many descriptions of their habitat don't discuss cooler temps at higher elevations in subtropical and tropical regions.

Hey, I do not want to kill many fish learning which can live through the winter! Still, I'm willing to take some chances.

This is a new pond. I'm buying fishes in groups of 5-10 and hope to brin