Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Best way to upgrade tank

Posted By: Mary Burns <mary.burns3@ntlworld.com>
Date: Monday, 29 August 2005, at 10:36 a.m.

My 8 clowns, 5 nearly 4" (excluding tail fin)and 3 about 2" are in 4' 65g, with 10 female platies/5 cories. I want to get a 7' tank, 24" high and 18" deep, 135 UK gals/160 US galls. It means moving 2 tanks to new places to get it along a wall and I have concrete floors, so weight no problem.
Several questions, how to cycle it for the clowns? I want to move them altogether, about 30" of fish. I have more platies who can start the cycle, using filter media, so it's safe for them, but still adding 30" is a lot. I'm going to use 2 filters, so on the day, I will completely swop one of them for their existing filter, which should help. I need to half empty the 65g to get everyone out in one go. The 10 platies can go in another tank while cycle catches up and then add them in 2