Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

ADOPTIONS NEEDED

Posted By: Greg Dunlap <greg_and_eileen@msn.com>
Date: Wednesday, 21 September 2005, at 11:43 p.m.

I used to post all the time, but have not posted for over a year. We will be moving in the next 3 months, and I need someone to adopt my tank and fish. The trip north will be over 2 days driving, and it will be impossible to move the fish and the tank.

The tank is a 60 gallon "large dimension"- deeper than a showtank. It is very nice, and EXTREMELY low maintenance. I run full undergravel plates, with 2 large powerheads, and also an Emperor powerfilter with biowheels,filter inserts, a bioblock and Seachem Renew. The water turnover is very fast. The bottom is finished in 3/8" and minus Mohave gravel, and I have rock formations and a large piece of driftwood in the tank.

I DO NOT want to debate filtration here- the combination of extremely high-flow powerheads and powerfilter is the best combination I have ever encounterred for an extremely low-care tank (90 minutes MAX/month)with a gravel bottom. My layout for food and ALL supplies is about $75/year.

It is not set up for plants-I am a working professional and do not have time to be constantly screwing around with the tank. The tank takes a maximum of 5 minutes a day, 10 minutes a week, and 90 minutes every 5-6 weeks for a complete gravel vacuuming, filter cleanout and refill with about 80% RO water treated with mineral-salts.

I have $$$$ in equipment and supplies, including a Python vacuum, spare powerhead,power-compact light, etc as well as a small isolation tank setup for new "roommates", and all the filter-mediums and water minerals.

When I infrequently put new fish in the tank, they spend 7 days in isolation with meds for bacterial/ich meds. I do not have time to debate this- I have not lost a fish to disease in over 5 years, so I think the process speaks for itself. I have a "mini-tank" setup with filtration and heating, all included.

I have no disease in the tank- I have lost 0 fish in the last 5 years, except a few neons, and they live to about 3 years of age. I have not had to add ANY treatments to the water in over 5 years. I just feed, and clean the tank well every 5-6 months. All my fish are huge. Due to lack of meds, the gravel-bed is healthy with beneficial bacteria, and I have 0 algae in the tank- none, zero, nada.

I have 2 LARGE bull Clowns- about 6-7", extremely fat, beautiful and healthy. I also have a very nice blue Gourami, Redtail-Shark, and a nice school of Blue Neons. The Clowns alone would sell for $75+/each, if you could find ones this size. I have seen none this size on the market for over 5 years. The Gourami and Redtail are hand-picked and very fine specimens.

This tank is the perfect tank for fish from high-flow rivers, the type fish I have. It is nice-looking, and all the equipment is top-rate stuff. I have over $700 worth of equipment, and the fish alone are worth $250+.

I need someone who wants a beautiful, extremely low-care tank to contact me. I am willing to let the setup go for a fraction of what it is worth- I am more interested in finding a good owner for the fish.

My kids grew up with these loaches- they have names (Smiley and Bandit) and are part of the family. Logistically, if I try to move them, they will not survive the trip. I would rather let them go to the right person than kill them in the move.

If you, or someone you know, would like a CHEAP setup worth over $900 with eqpt/fish, get back to me. I live in Riverside County, California, and someone from Orange County or San Diego County would be close enough to easily move the tank with minimal impact on the fish.

I would prefer someone with an RO system, or someone who is willing to install one to properly maintain Clowns in the lousy water of southern California. It REALLY makes a difference.

I do not wish to debate this- our water is so hard and full of garbage it makes tank maintenance a headache. I use full RO water with mineral salts after vacuuming, and I am seeking someone who is willing to do what is best for the fish and install an RO system. They are not really expensive, and if you set one up right, at the kitchen sink, you will never buy bottled water again, so the filter, after a few years, pays for itself.

If anyone in Orange, Riverside, or San Diego County wants an extremely high-quality setup, contact me. If you are a "newbie", and are willing to set up an RO filter and learn how to correctly clean/maintain this tank, call me. I have over 30 years of experience keeping a tank- it is simple, but is so much easier if you are willing to learn/follow a few simple, time-tested techniques.

You WILL be required to watch my wife and I clean the tank (here), filter, and replace the filter-medium before I let you take the tank home. After 30 years, I have this all down to a science, and I will show you how to do it quickly and easily.

If this seems too difficult, do not contact me. These Clowns grew up with my girl